Oct 24, 2012

Blu Ray and DVD Geek Picks for October 23, 2012 - Vampires,Replicants,Monsters, The End of the World, Tattoo, Kubrick, and a BigFriendlyGiant

Hello, film geeks,

As is often the case since I was blessed with fatherhood, I never got the chance to see most of these movies in a theater. That's ok, though, because we live in a wondrous film economy where you can own films for less than a trip for two to the local cineplex. Plus, you don't have to deal with obnoxious phone obsessed teens and lackluster presentation by subpar staff.

Don't get me wrong. I still think a big screen is the way to see most films, but, unfortunately, I live in Midland, TX where the local screens are rarely worth the high cost and trouble securing supervision for my rugrats. So, until I live somewhere like Austin and can watch films at The Alamo Drafthouse (where they really care about presentation and audience control), I will be watching most things after they hit Blu Ray and DVD.

So, with all that in mind, I present the films I'm most looking forward to getting my hands on this week.

ABRAHAM LINCOLN: VAMPIRE HUNTER

I've heard mixed reviews on this one, but I'm really hoping it pleases the part of my brain that loves WTF cinema. I love almost everything that producer Tim Burton does (even PLANET OF THE APES - sue me) and I liked the director's film of WANTED, so I'm fairly confident I will enjoy this. I mean, c'mon - Honest Abe fighting creatures of the night- that's gotta be worth watching, right?

BLADE RUNNER (30TH ANNIVERSARY COLLECTOR'S EDITION)

It took me a long time to see this film. For years, all my sci fi geek friends would suggest it to me, but I just never got around to it until I was well into my twenties. I saw the director's cut, and was blown away. I know some people decry this cut, preferring the theatrical, but without any bias going into it, I thought that the cut I saw was spectacular. Somehow, I have still never seen one of the other cuts, but that will be changing very soon with the release of this set.

I know that it was released a few years ago, but I was a minimum wage slave back then, and could not afford to get the briefcase set. Good thing I waited, though, because this set has some all new special features along with every possible cut of the film. I'm really looking forward to showing this to the ladylove as I think she'll really enjoy the film noir aspect of it. This is an essential set for any film geek, and I think I will be watching it for years to come. I can't wait until my sons are old enough to start dipping their little toes into loftier sci fi waters.

This is a film to be, not only watched, but deciphered. I'm sure I will have a "Which Version" post up in a few weeks, so stay tuned...


UNIVERSAL MONSTERS

I have a confession. It's a shocking one, and may result in a loss of film geek cred.

I have never seen a single Universal Classic Monster flick. Not a one. The desire has always been there, but I just never got around to it.

Hopefully, all that will change with this treasure chest of classic monster movies. Frankenstein, The Phantom, Dracula, The Invisible Man, The Creature, and The Wolfman all get a spot. In particular, I can't wait to see Whale's Frankenstein films. I've always had a soft spot for that poor, misunderstood behemoth.

SEEKING A FRIEND FOR THE END OF THE WORLD

I love post apocalyptic movies and end of the world tales. I also like comedies with indie sensibilities. Therefore, I really think I'll enjoy this film with Steve Carrell facing the end of life as we know it, and wanting a little companionship when the time comes. I get a real LAST NIGHT vibe off of this, but done bigger than that little watched film from Don McKellar.

FANTASY ISLAND- SEASON 3

Smiles everyone!

This show is pure 70's cheese, and we love it around here. After getting Amberly into the first season sometime last year, we have both watched the available episodes many times. For years, it seemed that the powers that be were never going to let anything but the first season make it to disc.

Fortunately, Shout factory has started to remedy that. The second season was released just a few months ago, and now a third box is out, full of more amazing fantasy vacations with Mr. Rourke and Tattoo.

I don't know what it is about this show that draws me to it. Maybe it's the swagger of Montalban, or the crazy fantasies cooked up by the greatest guest stars the late seventies had to offer, or maybe it's the gorgeously lush tropical setting - Whatever it is, I will be picking up every season as they become available.


FEAR AND DESIRE

I'm a huge Kubrick fan, so I'm very happy to see that his (in)famous first film is finally getting to see the light of day. For years, I thought I would never get to see this war fable, but Kino has restored it and given it over to us Kubrick obsessives to see for ourselves if it deserves the derision heaped on it by Kubrick himself.

THE BFG

I'm a huge Roald Dahl fan. He was the first author that I felt the need to devour every word they wrote. One of my favorites was The BFG, a story about a girl who meets a Big Friendly Giant who puts dreams in kid's heads. That's why I'm very excited to finally see this animated version from 1989. There's just something so magical about Dahl's stories, and I really hope this film captures just a bit of that wonder.

Well, that's my picks for this week. I have a huge backlog of Blu Under Ten entries to do, so look for those in the next few days.

Until next time,

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do YOU think?