Oct 19, 2012

Blu Ray and DVD Geek Picks for the third week of October - KhakiScouts, Na'vi, A Dragon, and Looney Tunes!

Hey, fellow film collectors,

I'm running late this week since I just had a new baby boy. Hence, no weekend Geek Picks last week and very little film blogging goodness in general. But, in an effort to get back on track, here's this last Tuesday's disc selections. By next week, I hope to have this column linked to Amazon to aid in purchasing (and to help support the blog with small commissions). This week, though, it's still just my picks for must own titles with quick rundowns. So, without further ado:

Top Pick:
MOONRISE KINGDOM

At this point in his career, you either love Wes Anderson or you hate Jim. Either way, it's hard to deny he has a style that is all his own. His latest offering is MOONRISE KINGDOM- the tale of two young lovers from the island community of New Penzance, who run off together into the wilderness. It stars Bill Murray, Bruce Willis, Ed Norton, Tilda Swinton, and many more. I loved this movie, and was very upset that I had to wait so long to see it. Midland, Texas is not kind to films like this, and it was impossible to find in a theater.

PETE'S DRAGON - BLU RAY
I absolutely loved this when I was a kid. I'm pretty sure Elliot was one of my imaginary friends. As an adult, I find Jim Dale to be a major highlight. I just adore his voice after listening to the Harry Potter audio books. I'm pretty much guaranteed to have "Candle on the Water" stuck in my head for days after viewing this. 

AVATAR 3D
I really liked AVATAR, but I never bought a copy because I wanted to future proof myself with a 3D copy. For some reason, the movie that made 3D a major thing in cinema decided to make the 3D home video version only available as a promotion if you bought the right TV. Now, they have remedied that, and /I can finally watch this flick again. Now, if they'd only release a 3D version of CORALINE into stores...

LOONEY TUNES PLATINUM COLLECTION - VOL. 2
Lots of great toons on this collection, but the real highlight for me is the bunch of Tex Avery MGM toons. Those have been hard to get for years. If you like LOONEY TUNES and Tex Avery, this is a must own.

Alright, that's my late rundown for this week. Sorry for being so brief. Hopefully, next week will be back in better shape.


1 comment:

What do YOU think?