Oct 31, 2012

Blu Ray and DVD Geek Picks for the week of October 31, 2012 -

Ahoy, fellow movie hoarders,

I meant to have this up yesterday, but was totally sideswiped by all the Star Wars news. Can you believe we'll be getting more of those? I can only hope someone awesome like Brad Bird gets to direct, but we shall see.

Anyway, onto my picks for what discs you should be putting on your shelf this week...

THE CAMPAIGN
Will Ferrell may make my lady roll her eyes, but he's still one of the funniest comedians being shoved down our throats. In this, he teams up with Zach Galifinakis to turn a satirical eye on politics. I'm not a fan of politics in general, but I do like funny movies. I haven't seen this yet, so I'm sure it will be more of a rental, but it looks like it contains a good chunk of chuckles.


ROSEMARY'S BABY- CRITERION BLU RAY

Just in time for Halloween, Roman Ploanski's masterpiece of devilish breeding comes to Blu Ray. This movie creeped me out when I was young - especially the weird Satan worshiping neighbors.

SAFETY NOT GUARANTEED

I haven't had a chance to see this yet, but I like Aubrey Plaza and time travel films, so this may be right up my alley.

ALFRED HITCHCOCK - THE MASTERPIECE COLLECTION

The master of suspense hits Blu Ray in a big way with this set. It contains 14 of his best movies:

SABOTEUR
SHADOW OF A DOUBT
ROPE
REAR WINDOW
THE TROUBLE WITH HARRY
THE MAN WHO KNEW TOO MUCH
VERTIGO
NORTH BY NORTHWEST
PSYCHO
THE BIRDS
MARNIE
TORN CURTAIN
TOPAZ
FRENZY
& FAMILY PLOT

The set is definitely pricey, but it has so much good stuff. I especially want to get my hands on pristine copies of PSYCHO and NORTH BY NORTHWEST. There are few of these that I've never had the chance to see, but this looks like a good opportunity to educate myself.


MAX FLEISCHER'S SUPERMAN: COLLECTOR'S EDITION

To date, these cartoons still represent my favorite incarnation of the man of steel. They're just so damn classic! My favorite is probably THE MECHANICAL MONSTERS, due to the extremely retro robot villains. A lot of what we consider to be Superman came from these toons, including the ability to fly.

This set is a tad expensive, but if you didn't get the SUPERMAN Blu Ray megaset, this might be a good way to grab these near perfect toons in HD.

'til next week....

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do YOU think?