Sep 9, 2012

Blu-Ray and DVD Geek Pix for the second week of September

Even in the age of digital media, there's something almost magical about owning some of your favorite films in a physical format. Having a disk to go to any time you want to revisit something will always be the way to go for someone like me. So, with that in mind, here's a a few things to look forward to this Tuesday.

Titanic 3D

     Since my exile to West Texas, I haven't been able to see as many movies in theaters. This 90's epic was one of the big re-releases I was looking forward to seeing on the big screen. I've only seen the movie once, and that was back in '97 at the Northpark 1&2 in Dallas (God rest its soul). It was one of the most impressive theatrical screenings I have ever seen. Projected in glorious 70mm- with incredible sound- I was captivated by this film.
     Of course, this was several weeks after it had come out. The initial night of its release, I went to an epic of a different sort, Kevin Costner's postapocalyptic The Postman with my dad. I remember being confused by the long lines around the building full of teenage girls waiting for Titanic. Everything I had heard about the film was that it was going to be a disaster, but the lines seemed to indicate a major hit. And it was...it really was.
    The rest is history. The movie went on to become one of the biggest films of all time, giving Leonardo DiCaprio true superstar status and filling all of our ears with Celine Dion for months on end.
    Having not seen it for myself, I can't speak of the 3D quality on this film, but the word is good. I can't wait to give this a spin and see Titanic in all it's Blu-Ray glory. 3D re-releases in general seem to get a lot of hate, but this geek thinks the technology is actually kind of fun. I never thought I'd enjoy The Phantom Menace as much as I did when that came out in 3D, but I loved that particular revisit, so hopefully this one will be even better.

Terra Nova




    I only got the chance to see the pilot for this show when it was airing, so I can't speak to how the series played out. All I know is that Spielberg and dinosaurs are involved, so it deserves my attention - even if it does wind up being crap.
   The story of Terra Nova starts in the future, when the world has become unlivable. Certain people are chosen to go back in time to start a new human colony in the time of the dinosaurs. Doesn't look like this show is coming to Blu Ray - yet.


Produced by George Martin




     Confession time - I am a fanatic when it comes to The Beatles. So it is with great glee that I discovered this documentary on their longtime producer George Martin. Of course, George Martin did so much more than just sit in the booth during the recording of some of the greatest songs ever laid down. He produced comedy albums for the likes of Peter Sellers and even scored the adventures of 007 in Live and Let Die.
     Of course, I haven't seen this, but I would hope such a legendary man would get a top notch doc.


Tim Burton Collection -  wide release




     This set has previously been available only on Amazon bundled with a book. This week, the set goes out for wide release, losing the book and about ten dollars on its price tag. For around forty bucks you get seven of Tim Burton's movies in glorious Blu-Ray. Here's the lineup:


Pee Wee's Big Adventure (1985) 

Beetlejuice (1988) 
Batman (1989) 
Batman Returns (1992) 
Mars Attacks! (1996) 
Corpse Bride (2005) 
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (2005)

     Those first five are worth the cost for me, with Corpse Bride and Charlie as nice bonuses. (that's how I see it, anyway.) I know some will deride the fact that it is missing some big titles like Edward Scissorhands, but that is from another studio. Same goes for the rest of the missing flicks. These seven are all from Warner Brothers.


Well, that's all for this week. Happy shopping, disc collectors!



                                     


No comments:

Post a Comment

What do YOU think?